Do you want to expand the reach of your Masters club to include adults who don't yet know how to swim? Do you see a need in your community for learn-to-swim lessons geared toward adults? Have you taught others to swim and experienced the joy of sharing the sport of swimming with someone? If yes, you might make a good adult learn-to-swim instructor.
Adult Learn-to-Swim Instructor Certification
The USMS Adult Learn-to-Swim instructor certification program curriculum is based on teaching methods practiced by leading adult learn-to-swim authorities. It incorporates the most innovative and effective training methods and gives certified instructors the tools to teach adults to swim, at a minimum, one length of a 25-yard pool and become safer in the water.
This one-day course, with classroom and in-water instruction, is taught throughout the country by USMS-certified lead ALTS instructors. At the conclusion of the course, successful candidates will receive ALTS instructor certification.
To become a USMS-certified ALTS instructor, you must:
- Be a member of USMS
- Attend the USMS ALTS instructor certification course
- Successfully complete the end-of-course tests
The cost for certification is $250 per instructor and includes both classroom and pool instruction, all course materials, and the USMS-certified Adult Learn-to-Swim Instructor designation for the remainder of the calendar year in which certification was achieved.
Adult Learn-to-Swim Instructor Designation
Once you become a certified ALTS instructor, we recommend that you renew the ALTS designation for each registration year, at the cost of $30.* This will ensure that you continue to receive the recognition and opportunities designed for our professional ALTS instructors.
- Name and certification listed at usms.org on the USMS-Certified ALTS Instructors page
- Opportunity to be included in our publicly searchable database, so clients can find you
- Special partner discounts
- One-on-one support from USMS’s program services department
- STREAMLINES for ALTS Instructors quarterly eNewsletter
- Invitation to our ALTS Facebook page, where instructors network and ask questions
- Discounts on USMS continuing-education courses
- Education and resources necessary to teach adults to learn to swim and become safer in water, including lesson plans, lesson templates, and marketing resources
Please note: USMS provides resources and support for active member instructors only. If your USMS membership lapses, your ALTS certification and designation will not be recognized during that time. Once your USMS membership is reactivated and your ALTS instructor designation fees are paid in arrears, your USMS-Certified ALTS Instructor designation will be reinstated.
*Any eligible member who selects both the USMS-Certified ALTS Instructor and the USMS-Certified Masters Coach designations will receive the benefits of both designations for the annual fee of $30.Questions? Check out the FAQ below or contact us.
ALTS Instructor Certification FAQs
What is ALTS?
ALTS stands for adult learn-to-swim.
What Is a USMS ALTS Instructor?
Can a USMS ALTS Instructor teach me how to teach an adult to swim?
I want to volunteer to help teach adults how to swim. Do I have to be certified in order to do this?
Do I have to be a coach in order to take the USMS ALTS certification Course?
What are the prerequisites for taking the USMS ALTS certification course?
You must be a member of USMS and you must be able to perform the following five water competency skills:
- Step or jump into deep water and return to the surface
- Float or tread water for 1 minute
- Turn around in a full circle and find an exit
- Swim 25 yards to the exit
- Exit from the water
Where do I find a USMS ALTS instructor certification class?
What are the benefits of learning from a USMS ALTS instructor?
- Standardized curriculum
- Certified adult instructor with specialized knowledge of working with adult learners
- Certificate of Accomplishment award
- Special invitation to become part of U.S. Masters Swimming and enjoy USMS member benefits
What are the benefits of having a USMS ALTS program and instructor at your facility?
- Standardized curriculum
- Certified professional instructor
- Enhanced adult programming
- Marketing materials and support
- Increased membership and member retention
- A program that provides a community service
- Recognition on the USMS website as a USMS-certified ALTS location
- Grants and fundraising opportunities